Monday, January 10, 2011

mosaics

I'm working an artist residency at a local elementary school, the project is tile mosaic. I took some process photos for the kids and thought I'd share. The students arrange the tiles in small groupings and I transfer those to the board, tile around them, glue, and grout. There will be seven or eight 2' x 2' panels created, with picture wire on the backs so that they can be moved around the school if need be.

The students place the tiles and I trap them
in their arrangement with contact paper.


Back in the studio I use an x-acto to cut them out.

Arranged on the board that I've spread with thinset,
I will remove the contact paper tomorrow when everything is dry.


Round glass gems.

stained glass shards

Finished, tomorrow I will grout.

No comments:

Post a Comment