Thursday, July 8, 2010

if I couldn't make jewelry

Time for the EtsyMetal blog carnival! This month's topic is, "If you couldn't make jewelry, what would you do instead?"

If the time comes when I can't make jewelry anymore, I probably will have lost the use of either my hands or my eyes (or both, but I don't even want to think about that).
I've always made stuff and I'm sure that I always will make stuff, I'll just have to find something more suited to my abilities. Suppose I lost the use of my hands, what could I make?

1. foot paintings
2. foot ceramics

3. beach art



4. Pollockesque compositions spitting paint out of my mouth
5. subtractive marshmallow sculpture

And if I lost my sight? In addition to making jewelry I work as a teaching artist in the Memphis community. I've recently done some digital photography projects with visually impaired teens - including two who were completely blind, and I learned a lot in the process.


For instance there is some really nifty freeware that you can use to tether a digital camera to a PC laptop, and whatever appears in the camera viewfinder is converted into a sound file. The richer the tonal range of the image, the richer the audio, and as you move the camera the sound changes. Pretty sweet, and has already been ported to cell phones. Lots of blind photographers use this technology.


Waterfront Mosque by Tim O'Brien, visually impaired photographer.

Clay is another medium that comes to mind should I ever lose my sight, and of course I will always have music. Here's hoping it doesn't come to that!

Please visit my EtsyMetal friends to read what they have to say on this topic.

Victoria/experimetal
Ann/hartleystudio
Brooke Medlin
Maria/fluxplay
stacey/wildflowerdesigns
Inbar Bareket
Beth Cyr


3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Subtractive marshmallow sculpture?! I'd like to see that as a R.A.D. submission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took this in such a different direction than I did, it was wonderful to read! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete