Thursday, August 26, 2010

238/365 grampa

I just got back from a visit with my grandfather who is 87 and quite ill. Grampa is in hospice care at home now, he's confined to a bed and taken care of by his wonderful and loving wife, Jan. While I was there Jan, Aunt Sally, and I looked through some old photos and I chose some to take home.

My absolute faves are two of my grandfather, Mr. Robert Durgin, in drag. Here he is in the bathing suit competition as "Miss New Hampshire" - apparently this pageant is a very popular annual event at his mobile home community. Those old folks sure know how to party!



As I said goodbye to him yesterday I was thinking, "This is the last time I will see him", and I wondered if he was thinking the same. It was profoundly sad. I am so grateful to have had him around for so long, my last living grandparent. And if it's all the same to rest of the family, I prefer to think of him in drag. It makes me smile.

2 comments: