Friday, May 20, 2011

some favorite quotes


It's another blog carnival and we are sharing some of our favorite quotes. I have several journals of quotations, and some of poetry and Haiku (yes, that little moleskine says "Recipes and Haiku"), some of my journals do double-duty. Here are some quotes and (unattributed) Haiku that I really enjoy.

"I always prefer to work in the studio. It isolates people from their environment. They become in a sense... symbolic of themselves." -Richard Avedon

"The only thing I know is that if I get to my studio, that means I'm alive today." -Robert Farber

"I am a night painter, so when I come into the studio the next morning the delirium is over. I come into the studio very fearfully, I creep in to see what happened the night before. And the feeling is one of, 'My God, did I do that?' ". -Philip Guston

"I see more and more that my work goes infinitely better when I am properly fed, and the paints are there, and the studio and all that. But have I set my heart on my work being a success? A thousand times no. I wish I could manage to make you really understand that when you give money to artists, you are yourself doing an artist's work, and that I only want my pictures to be of such a quality that you will not be too dissatisfied with your work." -Vincent van Gogh

"Guided by my heritage of a love of beauty and a respect for strength - in search of my mother's garden, I found my own." -Alice Walker

"Apathy is a vice." -Oscar Wilde.

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art." -Oscar Wilde

"What lies in our power to do, lies in our power not to do." -Aristotle

"I'm looking for the face I had before the world was made." -Yeats

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -Thoreau

"A man is a god in ruins." -Emerson

"Art is a jealous mistress." -Emerson

"I am out of estrogen and I have a gun." -Anonymous

with the last lamp
stripping
her shadow off

not seeing
the room is white
until that red apple

loving
you
in poor light

the space
between the deer
and the shot

walking into and out of
the sound
of the brook

nailed on the door
men
out of order

Please visit my friends who are also sharing their favorite quotations:


7 comments:

  1. LOVED all your thoughful quotes! tho, of course I'm partial to this one: "I am out of estrogen and I have a gun." - Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I'm with Andes. The last quote was definately a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great collection of quotes - I can't pick a favorite. Recipes And Haiku - Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ~ Kathleen Krucoff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you, ladies! I sold patchwork at craft shows in the 90's including pillows with quotes on them, the estrogen quote was my biggest seller. I remember selling one to a woman at a country fair in the morning and later in the afternoon I saw her walking around with the pillow held high above her head.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect morning read, great quotes Tomi! I think my fav is the Thoreau ....have a good weekend busy girl! ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fabulous and inspirational, Tomi! :)

    ReplyDelete